UPDATE: 1 dead, 3 injured and 19-year-old suspect in custody after synagogue shooting; mayor calls it ‘a hate crime’

According to updates following a reported shooting at a California synagogue, officials have released additional details about the crime, victims and suspected gunman.

As CrimeOnline previously reported, multiple people were among those shot at the Chabad of Poway late Friday morning.

According to NBC News, one victim has been pronounced dead as a result of the shooting in the San Diego suburb. Three others were reportedly injured and transported to area hospitals where they remained in stable condition as of the latest updates available.

San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore said a suspect is in custody.

CNN cited a police source confirming that the 19-year-old called 911 after the shooting to tell them he was the gunman.

“This individual was with an AR-type assault weapon and opened fire on the people inside the synagogue,” he said.

How do you protect your children from predators? Join Nancy Grace and a team of world class experts for the online course ‘Justice Nation: Crime Stops Here’.

Following the apprehension of the suspected gunman, Sgt. Aaron Meleen said that the sheriff’s department is “confident that there are no shooters that are outstanding.”

Police sources did not reveal a possible motive, but Mayor Steve Vaus declared that “it was a hate crime, and that will not stand.”

The shooting reportedly took place during what had been publicized as a “Passover Holiday Celebration.”

Vaus expressed gratitude to congregants who “engaged the shooter and prevented this from being a much more horrific incident.”

The mayor expressed confidence that the “community will come together, put their arms around each other and we will be there for the families affected and be there in an ongoing fashion just like we always are.”

Join Nancy Grace for her new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most – your children.

[Featured image: video screenshot]