A man and woman from Colorado say their stories add to the horror stories being reported at one resort in the Dominican Republic.
According to the New York Post, Tom Schwander and his girlfriend, Kaylynn Knull, traveled to the La Romana resort last year and started feeling sick upon returning to their room after an outing.
“We were drooling excessively,” said Knull of the couple’s trip to the Grand Bahia Principe resort. “My eyes would not stop watering.”
Upon returning to a stench in that smelled as if “somebody had dumped paint everywhere,” the couple reportedly contacted staff to switch rooms, as reported by KMGH. But they say the damage was already done and their symptoms rapidly intensified.
“That night, we both woke up soaked in sweat at like four in the morning and kind of terrified,” Knull said.”
They woke up and flew home early, she said.
“It felt like a chainsaw going through my gut,” Knull said of the pain.
Upon arriving back in the states, both were reportedly diagnosed with organophosphate poisoning, often linked to a chemical found in insecticides. Schwander and Knull have a $1 million lawsuit against the resort that has not yet been settled.
She said she is speaking out now in light of three recent deaths reported at the same resort.
As CrimeOnline previously reported, a Pennsylvania woman died after drinking something from her room’s minibar. Five days later, a couple from Maryland died at the same resort.
Preliminary reports indicated all three died as a result of respiratory failure and pulmonary embolism.
Knull said she believes “the truth needs to be told,” adding that her experience “sounds way too similar at the same resort.”
[Featured image: Kaylynn Knull and Tom Schwander, Instagram]