Three teens in Arizona were arrested late last month, accused of shooting a freelance photographer nine times in an unprovoked attack at a park.
The victim, who has only been identified on a GoFundMe page as “CT,” was taking photos at Encanto Park on September 12 when the three males, Ricardo Mendoza-Sanchez, 18, Angel Ortega Romero, 18, and a 17-year-old approached him and asked if he could take their picture, to which he obliged.
CT, a black man, was broadcasting on Facebook Live when he reprimanded the boys for calling him the n-word and told them not to call him that, according to KSAZ.
Citing court documents, KNXV reported that two of the suspects then shot CT a total of nine times. Though seriously wounded, CT managed to call 911 and is expected to recover from his injuries.
The Arizona Republic reported that officers arrested Mendoza-Sanchez in connection with the shooting on September 17. He allegedly admitted to his role in the shooting.
Romero and the 17-year-old were apprehended on September 25. Officials said Romero attempted to brandish a handgun but officers took the weapon before he could do so. The 17-year-old was also armed at the time of his arrest, according to the news outlet.
A police report alleged that a search of two of the suspects’ homes produced four handguns, a ballistic vest, and a small quantity of methamphetamine.
Authorities said the photos CT took that night helped them identify the three suspects. The teens are charged with aggravated assault, misconduct involving weapons, gang activity, and resisting arrest.
[Featured image: CT/GoFundMe]