Ad
Ad

Baby clings to life after dad uses him as ‘human shield’ from gunshots: Officials

Pennsylvania police arrested the father of an infant who was shot last month for allegedly using his son as a shield while trying to buy drugs with counterfeit money.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reported that Nafes Monroe, 25, was arrested on Sunday on charges of endangering the welfare of a child and recklessly endangering another person for an October 19 incident in Philadelphia that left his 11-month-old son, Yazeem Jenkins, fighting for his life.

Monroe, his girlfriend, another man, and Jenkins were reportedly in a car when Jenkins was shot four times—including in his head and chest.

Anthony Voci, head of the District Attorney’s Office Homicide Unit, said at the time of the shooting, Monroe was wanted on a probation violation warrant in relation to a 2013 gun conviction.

How do you protect your children from predators? Join Nancy Grace and a team of world-class experts for the online course ‘Justice Nation: Crime Stops Here’.

Voci also alleged that Monroe didn’t rush his gravely injured son to the hospital. Monroe instead drove to a home located 10 minutes away before dropping him off at the hospital, WCAU reported, citing authorities.

Jenkins remains hospitalized for his injuries.

“It’s our belief and our investigation has led us to believe that he intentionally had his child with him when he was making such types of purchases with the idea or belief that if someone saw that he had a child in the car that they would not fire upon him,” Voci explained, according to WPVI. “A human shield is probably the term that I would use.”

The accused shooter, Francisco Ortiz, 29, was arrested and charged with attempted murder and related offenses.

Ortiz is accused of supplying the AK-47 that Tayvon Thomas, 25, allegedly used to kill Nikolette Rivera, 2, inside her Philadelphia home a day after Jenkins was shot. The October 20 shooting also left Rivera’s mother and a contractor wounded.

Days later, Philadelphia police arrested Thomas on murder charges and Freddie Perez, 30, on attempted murder charges. Thomas has reportedly confessed to his role in the fatal shooting.

Despite Ortiz being implicated in both shootings, authorities said they believe the cases are unrelated.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast. Listen to the latest episode:

Join Nancy Grace for her new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most – your children.

[Featured image: Yazeem Jenkins/WPVI video screengrab]