Two Los Angeles County students have been arrested for making criminal threats in the week since a Saugus High School student killed two classmates and wounded three others before killing himself, authorities said Friday.
Sheriff Alex Villaneuva said a 13-year-old student at Animo Mae Jemison Charter Middle School was arrested after classmates reported hearing the boy making threats on Thursday and told their teachers. Deputies tracked the boy down and obtained a search warrant for his home, KTLA reported.
“During the execution of the search warrant, a rifle with a high-capacity magazine was seized along with ammunition for the rifle,” Villanueva said at a news conference announcing the arrest. The rifle was an AR-15.
They also found a hand-drawn map of the school and a list of names of students and staff at the school.
A statement from the sheriff’s office said deputies also arrested a 19-year-old man at the residence, a relative of the boy’s, for possessing an unregistered firearm.
Deputy Ronald Sneed said officers responded to a fight at the school Thursday evening, interviewing several students and conducting parent-authorized searches. One of the boys they interviewed had allegedly posted threats online, including an image of a teenager with gun. He reportedly admitted making the threats, according to NBC Los Angeles.
Deputies have still found no motive for the November 14 shooting at Saugus High School. Nathaniel Berhow was seen on surveillance video pulling a semi-automatic handgun from his backpack and opening fire. Two students were killed and two others wounded before he shot himself in the head. Berhow died of his wounds the following day, as CrimeOnline previously reported.
For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast.
[Featured image: Pixabay]