Tessa Majors

BREAKING: 13-year-old first to confess to brutal dusk stabbing of teen Barnard freshman Tessa Majors

Update: Friday, 9; 20 a.m. 

Citing a source with knowledge of the investigation, the New York Post reports that the boy arrested in the murder of Tessa Majors is only 13 years old.

CBS New York reports that the suspect confessed to the crime after he was taken into custody, allegedly telling police that he and his friends had attempted to rob Majors and one of the stabbed her when she tried to resist.

According to the New York Post report, authorities believe that up to three more people may be involved. Earlier reports stated that two more people could be involved in the brutal stabbing.

Police have not released the identity of the suspect in custody, and his role in the attack is unclear. According to the New York Post, the teen boy had a knife on him but it is not known if that weapon was involved in the attack.

This is a developing story and all information is preliminary. CrimeOnline will provide further updates when more information is available.


Police in New York City have arrested one minor in connection to the murder of 18-year-old Tessa Majors, a Barnard College freshman who was found repeatedly stabbed in Morningside Park on Wednesday evening.

WABC reports that one juvenile has been arrested and that authorities believe up to two more people may have been involved in the violent crime.

As CrimeOnline previously reported, Majors was approached by a group of males near a stairwell in the park near Columbia University in Upper Manhattan on Wednesday night. Earlier reports had indicated Majors was attacked around 5:30 p.m., but according to a recent WABC report the time was closer to 8 p.m.

How do you protect your children from predators? Join Nancy Grace and a team of world-class experts for the online course ‘Justice Nation: Crime Stops Here’.

Police reportedly believe that Majors was stabbed during a robbery attempt. She suffered multiple knife wounds in the attack, but managed to climb a stairwell toward a security guard post.

The guard reportedly approached Majors and called for medical help as soon as he realized she was injured. There appears to have been a delay between the time Majors was stabbed and when the security guard discovered her. Early Thursday, multiple local news outlets had reported that the guard had left his post to do rounds when Majors was attacked, but Columbia University issued a statement later that day saying those reports were inaccurate, and that the guard had not left his post at any time during the shift.

Police reportedly questioned and released two teens on Thursday.

This is a developing story. CrimeOnline will provide further updates when more information is available.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast.

Join Nancy Grace for her new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most – your children.