A 7-month-old Hawaii girl who died of a suspected Benadryl overdose last February while in her babysitter’s care had no underlying medical issues, a recently-released autopsy report revealed.
Hawaii News Now obtained the 18-page report and spoke with Abigail Lobisch’s mother, Anna Lobisch. The infant died at Dixie Denise Villa’s home on the Aliamanu Military Reservation on the morning of February 24.
Anna Lobisch left her daughter and 2-year-old son with Villa, 41, at a Disney resort and spa in Ko Olinaon early on February 23. The siblings and Villa’s two children reportedly spent the day at the pool before Villa took them to her home that afternoon.
Villa reportedly treated the children for sunburns and put them to bed at 10 p.m. She allegedly told police that Abigail Lobisch did not wake up through the night, which she attributed to being in the sun all day. She claimed it was not until 8 a.m. the next day when she found the infant unresponsive and “cold to the touch.”
The initial report, which was released in late July, stated that Abigail Lobich had nearly twice the fatal dose of Benadryl in her heart blood — or 2400 ng/mL. The fatal dose for infants is 1400 ng/mL. Children younger than six should not take the drug without a physician’s approval.
Released this week, the full autopsy report declared that the Abigail Lobich had more 5,000 ng/mL in a tested urine specimen, suggesting some of the antihistamine medication had already passed through her system. The document also described the infant as well-developed and well-nourished, according to Hawaii News Now.
“The one thing I learned from Abi’s death is that there’s no closure on something like this. You don’t ever get closure, we just relive it every day,” Anna Lobisch, who is 20-weeks pregnant with a boy, told the news outlet.
Villa was charged with manslaughter in July. Her trial is scheduled to start on May 26.
For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast. Listen to a related episode.
[Featured image: Abigail Lobisch/GoFundMe]