Ad
Ad

Suspect accused of killing & cannibalizing Grindr date found unresponsive in cell after refusing food : Police

A Michigan man who allegedly murdered, mutilated, and ate his online date last year was reportedly hospitalized after being found unresponsive in his cell.

Citing police, MLive.com reported that a Michigan State Trooper was dispatched to Shiawassee County Jail at 5 p.m. Monday after Mark Latunski, 50, was found unresponsive in his cell. Shiawassee County Sheriff Brian BeGole said Latunski was sent to the hospital as a precaution and has since been returned to the jail.

BeGole commented that Latunski’s food intake has been down since Friday but it wasn’t to the degree of a hunger strike. Deputies used smelling salts to help Latunski regain consciousness, according to the news outlet.

How do you protect your children from predators? Join Nancy Grace and a team of world-class experts for the online course ‘Justice Nation: Crime Stops Here’.

Latunski’s accused of killing Kevin Bacon, 25, at his home in December after allegedly connecting on a gay dating site called Grindr.

Bacon was reported missing on Christmas, a day after he reportedly met with Latunski in person. Bacon’s body was reportedly discovered in the suspect’s home on December 28. Documents stated that the victim was found hanging upside down by his ankles from the ceiling.

Latunski allegedly admitted to killing Bacon by stabbing him in the back and slitting his throat. He reportedly recounted tying a rope around Bacon’s ankles and fastening it to his ceiling’s rafters. Authorities said he also revealed that he severed Bacon’s testicles with a knife and ate them.

In early January, Latuniski’s attorney introduced an insanity defense. It could take 60 to 90 days for Latuniski to undergo a mental evaluation, and  his legal team said it could take at least 30 days to receive the results once the evaluation is completed.

In August, Latunski’s ex-wife requested his parenting time be suspended, claiming he was diagnosed with major depression, paranoid schizophrenia, and features of a personality disorder in 2010 and 2012. In 2013, Latunski was charged with taking two of his four children from their mother. Those charges were ultimately dismissed.

If Latuniski is found incompetent, he will remain hospitalized in a lockdown facility until he’s deemed fit to stand trial.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast. Listen to the latest episode:

Join Nancy Grace for her new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most – your children.

[Featured image: Mark Latunski/Michigan State Police; Kevin Bacon/Facebook]