Authorities on Saturday were searching for a man who allegedly shot and wounded at least eight patrons of a bar in San Antonio, Texas, KSAT-TV reports.
The gunman was among a small group of people reportedly turned away from Rebar, a popular nightspot, shortly before 11:30 p.m. on Friday because they were too inebriated, according to San Antonio Police Chief William McManus.
McManus said a man in the group allegedly told a bar bouncer, “Don’t you know who I am? I’m a UFC fighter from California.”
The man then walked to his vehicle, took out a long rifle, and opened fire on people outside the bar, McManus said.
The assailant shot five women and three men, who range in age from 23 to 41 years old. One person was shot in the back, which was the most serious injury, while two others were grazed. McManus said victims sought medical treatment themselves at local hospitals, and that those remaining hospitalized were in stable condition. Some victims declined medical care.
Chief McManus gives media briefing on shooting with multiple victims on the 8000 block of Broadway.
Posted by San Antonio Police Department on Friday, June 12, 2020
As of Saturday morning, the shooter, who had fled the scene, was still at large, according to McManus, who said he did not believe the public was at risk.
Investigators are looking at surveillance footage to identify the shooter and better understand what happened, the television station reports. The man had been at another bar nearby with a group of three or four others, which included men and women, according to McManus.
The tavern, Rebar, is located about 2 miles from the San Antonio International Airport.
For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast. Here is our latest episode.
[Feature Photo: Pixabay]