Ad
Ad

Generator fumes kills 4 family members taking shelter during Hurricane Hanna, officials say

A 12-year-old girl survived, but the rest of her family died

Authorities in Texas said four relatives who were found dead in their home Monday likely died of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

Citing city officials and law enforcement, The Monitor reports that the Edinburg family was using a generator after losing power over the weekend due to Hurricane Hanna. Edinburg police chief Cesar Torres said neighbors contacted law enforcement Monday evening after not hearing from the family.

Officers who responded to the residence discovered the bodies of a 34-year-old woman, a 33-year-old man, a 17-year-old girl, and an 11-year-old boy. A 12-year-old girl was found unconscious but alive.

How do you protect your children from predators? Join Nancy Grace and a team of world-class experts for the online course ‘Justice Nation: Crime Stops Here’.

The Monitor reported that responding officers located a running generator inside the home. Police ultimately determined there was no foul play and that their deaths were caused by accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

Authorities have not yet publicly identified the four decedents. The 12-year-old girl reportedly remains hospitalized in critical condition.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast. Listen to the latest episode:

Join Nancy Grace for her new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most – your children.

[Featured image: KRGV video screengrab]