UPDATE: Cops catch suspect in fatal subway stabbing spree

The suspect believed responsible for four stabbings on the New York subway’s A-train line — two of them fatal — was arrested Saturday in Upper Manhattan, the New York Post reports.

The man, who has not been identified, was still carrying a bloody knife and his his shoes were spattered with blood, sources told the Post.

Earlier, police announced a surge in officers patrolling the subway in the wake of the stabbings, which took place over a 24-hour period beginning Friday morning.

Police Commissioner Dermot Shea said investigators were all but certain one person was responsible for all four stabbings.

“The common denominators that we see in these four incidents are the proximity of the crimes as well as all four occurring on the A line,” Shea said during a news conference Saturday, PIX11 reported.

New York police believe they’re looking for one suspect involved in four stabbings along the subway system’s A line from Friday morning into Saturday morning, Police Commissioner Dermot Shea said.

The first stabbing took place at the 181st Street station, police said. In that incident, a 67-year-old man told police an unknown man walked up, yelled, “I’m going to kill you!” and stabbed him in an unprovoked attack, according to the New York Post.

The next took place nearly 12 hours later when a man was found dead in his seat at Mott Avenue Far Rockaway A Trains station with stab wounds to his neck and torso, PIX11 reported.

About two hours later, an unconscious 44-year-old woman was found on the train at the 207th Street station. She was taken to a hospital and died from her injures. Fifteen minutes after that, someone stabbed a 43-year-old man at the 181st Street station. He is in stable condition at a hospital

The commissioner said 500 officers were being deployed to the subway line, some reassigned from other duties and some called in for overtime. He called it a “significant increase” in police along the transit line.

Transit Chief Kathleen O’Reilly said that by Monday, nearly 850 additional officers would be patrolling, according to the Post.

Police said the two surviving victims were helping investigators and have described the attacker as a possibly Hispanic man, about 5 feet tall, and wearing a face mask. Police have not named any of the victims but said all are believed to be homeless.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast:

[Featured image: Pixabay]