Investigators in New Mexico have obtained a search warrant for actor Alec Baldwin’s cell phone as they continue their investigation into the fatal shooting on the set of his “Rust” movie.
Cinematographer Halnya Hutchins was killed on October 21 during rehearsal for a scene in the movie in which Baldwin was handling a weapon. He says he did not pull the trigger, but the gun discharged, striking Hutchins, as CrimeOnline has previously reported. Joel Souza, the movie’s director, was wounded.
Investigators are looking at all aspects of weapons handling on the set of the movie. Preliminary reports indicate an assistant director, Dave Halls, handed the gun to Baldwin, saying it was not a live weapon.
Earlier this month, a judge ruled that Halls must submit to an interview with state workplace safety officials after he twice refused to do so, USA Today reported.
According to court documents obtained by TMZ, the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Department sought the search warrant after Baldwin told them about emails between himself and head armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed prior to the shooting. In those emails, Gutierrez-Reed reportedly showed him several different guns and knives for the film. Baldwin said that he requested a larger gun.
According to the document, Baldwin did not hand over his phone on request, prompting the search warrant.
For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast
[Featured image: Alec Baldwin/AP Photo/Seth Wenig, File and Halnya Hutchins/Instagram]