Actor Alec Baldwin this weekend sought to quash any doubts about his cooperation with law enforcement investigating the fatal shooting on a New Mexico film set last year, CNN reports.
On Saturday, Baldwin posted a video to Instagram telling viewers that he was working with authorities and that any suggestion he is not complying with a search warrant for his phone is wrong.
He did not mince words.
“That’s bullsh*t,” Baldwin said in the video. “That’s a lie.”
View this post on Instagram
Baldwin, who recorded the video while sitting in a vehicle, noted that because he does not live in New Mexico, authorities have to engage in a process that requires them to work with his state of residence to execute a warrant for his cell phone, which takes time.
Further, Baldwin said that investigators “have to specify what exactly they want. They can’t just go through your phone and take, you know, your photos or your love letters to your wife or what have you.”
He added: “But of course, we are 1000% going to comply with all that. We are perfectly fine with that.”
Baldwin said he is “working toward, insisting on, demanding” that the investigation get to the truth.
Baldwin has said previously that he and Hutchins were reviewing how to position his hand when the gun fired.”I’m holding the gun where she told me to hold it, which ended up being aimed right below her armpit, was what I was told,” Baldwin told ABC News in December. “I would never point a gun at anyone and then pull the trigger.”
Earlier this week, Reuters obtained an affidavit that shows a detective with the Sante Fe County Sheriff department asked Baldwin to give his cell phone to investigators but the actor refused to do so voluntarily, saying police would have to obtain a warrant. Authorities in Santa Fe did issue a search warrant in mid-December, but as Reuters reports, investigators still do not have Baldwin’s phone.
The documents indicate that investigators are searching for messages, communications data and any photos or videos related to the film.
Baldwin earlier this month had posted a video telling viewers that the incident “has been, surely, the worst situation I’ve ever been involved with,” CNN reports.
“I’m very hopeful that the people in charge with investigating this whole thing get to the truth as soon as possible,” Baldwin said in the Instagram video, according to CNN. “No one wants the truth more than I do.”
An attorney for Baldwin said in December that his client is cooperating with investigators and is confident that the evidence will demonstrate he is not at fault, CNN reports.