Ad
Ad

Alec Baldwin Sued for ‘Rust’ Cinematographer’s Shooting Death

On Tuesday, actor Alec Baldwin was formally sued in connection with last year’s shooting that killed a cinematographer on the set of “Rust.”

According to Deadline, the wrongful death lawsuit alleges that Baldwin, 63, and other members of the “Rust” production team knew of firearm safety issues on set but took no corrective action before Halyna Hutchins’ October 21 shooting death.

“Rust” armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed, assistant director David Halls, and the company that provided the ammunition are also listed as defendants in the wrongful lawsuit, which was filed in New Mexico by Hutchins’ family.

“Had Defendant Baldwin, the Producers, and the “Rust” Production Companies taken adequate precautions to ensure firearm safety on the set of “Rust” or if basic firearm safety rules had been followed on the set of Rust on October 21, 2021, Halyna Hutchins would be alive and well, hugging her husband and nine-year old son,” the 29-page lawsuit reads in part.

Reports indicated that assistant director David Hall handed Baldwin, 63, a Colt 45 revolver and yelled “cold gun,” suggesting it was not loaded.

The actor was reportedly showing how he was going to pull the gun from the holster when the weapon fired in a mock church pew at Bonanza Creek Ranch — fatally shooting Hutchins in the chest and wounding director Joel Souza, 48, in his shoulder.

The family’s attorney, Brian Parish said Tuesday that Baldwin and production took cost-cutting measures and practiced “reckless” behavior which led to the deadly shooting, Deadline reported.

According to TMZ, Baldwin is accused of being four feet from the crew when he used his right hand to reach across his body to grab the gun holstered on his left side. He was reportedly aiming the gun directly Hutchins when he drew back the hammer.

The lawsuit also alleged that Baldwin never checked the gun before handling it.

Deadline reported that in January, “Rust” armorer Gutierrez Reed sued the film’s ammunition supplier and the armorer/mentor, Seth Kenney, for allegedly selling dangerous prop ammunition and not disclosing the risks it posed.

That complaint reads in part, “Defendants prepared dummy ammunition cartridge boxes from surplus ammunition stockpiles that comprised of both dummy and live ammunition.”

On the day of the shooting, six camera crew members reportedly walked off the set due to issues with housing and payment. A witness said the six crew members were threatened with security if they did not leave and they were replaced with three non-union members.

Reports indicated crew members used the gun on the day of the shooting for target practice — and had used live rounds to shoot at beer cans to pass time on set.

No criminal charges have been filed in connection with last year’s incident.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast. Listen to the latest episode:

Join Nancy Grace for her new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most — your children.

[Featured image: Alex Baldwin/AP Photo/Seth Wenig, File; Halyna Hutchins/Instagram]