A 4-year-old Louisiana girl died Thursday after her grandmother forced her to drink more than half a bottle of whiskey because she thought the girl had taken a sip.
The East Baton Rouge Coroner’s Office said that China Record died of acute alcohol poisoning with a blood alcohol content more than eight times the legal limit for an adult driver.
Baton Rouge police arrested the grandmother, 53-year-old Roxanne Record, and China’s mother, 28-year-old Kadjah Record and charged them both with first degree murder Friday morning, The Advocate reported.
According to arrest documents, both mother and grandmother were angry that China had taken a sip from a bottle of 80 proof Canadian Mist. The little girl’s siblings told detectives that Roxanne forced China onto her knees and made her drink the rest of the bottle, while her mother watched. The bottle was “over half full,” the documents said
The documents say that China’s mother put her in the bathtub after she finished the bottle, but no one called for medical care until the girl stopped breathing.
China’s blood alcohol level was .680% when emergency personnel arrived at the house, Baton Rouge Police Department spokesman Sgt. L’Jean McKneely said.
For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast.
[Featured image: China Record/GoFundMe]