Ad
Ad

Autopsy Reveals Cause of Death of Boy Found Dead in ‘Welcome to Las Vegas’ Suitcase

Investigators in southeastern Indiana say the unidentified boy whose body was found in a suitcase in April died from an electrolyte imbalance.

The medical examiner said that imbalance was most likely due to a “viral gastroenteritis” caused by excessive vomiting or diarrhea, Indiana State Police Sgt Carey Huls said.

State police are still working to identify the boy, believed to be about 5-year-old, Huls said, according to WAVE.

“Someone knows who this child is,” he said. “He did not show up in the woods on Holder Road in Washington County by himself.”

Toxicology tests came back negative, he said, and the boy had no severe injuries. Huls couldn’t say if the boy died in the suitcase.

“The child was found clean,” Huls said. “He was clothed. He appeared to be at least somewhat cared for.”

A mushroom hunter came upon the hardshell suitcase, which features the famous “Welcome to Las Vegas” sign, on April 16, as CrimeOnline previously reported. He’s described as just under 4 feet tall and about 40 pounds with a slim build and a short haircut, and he hasn’t matched missing children on any databases checked so far.

“There’s no match on any child that’s missing,” Huls said.

Huls said investigators have not ruled out that the boy could be from out of the state or even out of the country.

According to WEHT, the community of Salem, near where the boy was found, plan a funeral for him on Wednesday which will be livestreamed by the funeral home. Community donations have covered the costs.

Indiana State Police have set up a national tip line at (888) 437-6432 for direct information about the boy or the luggage.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast.

[Featured image: Indiana State Police]