Michael and Robbie Phillips

Carbon Monoxide Killed 3 Americans Vacationing at Sandals Resort in Bahamas, Police Say

Three Americans who died at a Bahamas resort in May died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning, police revealed on Tuesday.

According to CNN, Michael Phillips, 68, and Robbie Phillips, 65, from Tennessee; and Vincent Chiarella, 64, from Florida, died within hours of each other on May 6 at a Sandals resort on the Bahamas’ Great Exuma island. Chiarella’s wife, Donnis, 65, was airlifted to Nassau, the island’s capital, before she was transported to Florida. Her current condition is unknown.

Police said all four vacationers went to the doctor the night before their bodies were found as they felt ill. ABC reported that a month before Tuesday’s announcement, Sandals said the deadly incident was “in no way linked to the resort’s air conditioning system, food and beverage service, landscaping services or foul play.”

According to ABC, the two couples had been staying in adjacent villas in the same building.

It remains unclear what was the source of the carbon monoxide. In light of their deaths, Sandals said they have installed carbon monoxide detectors in all guest rooms at Sandals Emerald Bay. It is unclear whether operational carbon monoxide detectors were in the couples’ rooms when they died in May.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast. Listen to the latest episode:

Join Nancy Grace for her new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most — your children.

[Featured image: Michael and Robbie Phillips/Facebook]