The man accused of murdering seven people at a Fourth of July parade in Illinois allegedly confessed to firing more than 80 shots during the mass shooting.
The suspect, Robert Crimo III, 22, was ordered to be held without bail on Wednesday. The Chicago Sun-Times reported that after the shooting, Crimo went to the Madison, Wisconsin, area — where he planned to stage another mass shooting.
Lake County Major Crimes Task Force spokesman Christopher Covelli said Crimo instead turned around and abandoned his cellphone in Middleton, Wisconsin. Later that day, Crimo was apprehended after a North Chicago police officer saw him driving a car.
Previously, Covelli said Crimo planned the mass shooting for weeks and fired 70 rounds from a Highland Park rooftop during Monday’s attack which killed seven and left more than two dozens injured. Covelli alleged Crimo used a weapon similar to an AR-15 which was legally purchased in Illinois.
“He accessed the roof of a business via a fire escape ladder and began opening fire on the innocent Independence Day celebration-goers,” he also commented.
Covelli also said investigators believe Crimo was wearing women’s clothing amid the shooting to “conceal his facial tattoos and his identity and help him during the escape with the other people who were fleeing the chaos.” Despite this, police officers who were familiar with Crimo were able to identify him as the shooter, according to the Sun-Times.
After the shooting, Crimo allegedly walked to his mother’s home, which was nearby, and borrowed her vehicle.
Covelli said they have not determined a motive despite interviewing Crimo and reviewing his social media accounts — where he reportedly posted violent rap songs. Presently, there is no indication that Monday’s mass shooting was a hate crime.
For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast. Listen to the latest episode:
[Featured image: Robert Crimo III/Lake County Major Crime Task Force via AP]