Tyler and Sarah Schmidt and their 6-year-old daughter, Lula, die after an assault inside their camping tent. 9-year-old Arlo Schmidt survives, running to another campsite for help. Autopsies show the family members were shot, stabbed and strangled. Police say the man who killed the family was himself, camping nearby. In fact, the campsite to which Schmidt ran, belonged to the killer’s family. His mother called 911. Investigators say Anthony Sherwin of La Vista, Nebraska carried out the attack, Police later found Sherwin’s body with an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound. Sherwin’s mother, Cecilia Sherwin, released a statement saying she and her family “refuse to believe the news” that their family member is a murderer.
Joining Nancy Grace Today:
- Adam Morehouse, one of Sarah Schmidt’s three siblings, GoFundMe
- Kathryn Marsh – Special Victims Liaison for the State’s Attorney’s Office (Charles County, MD), Co-Founder: Right Response Consulting, “No Grey Zone” Podcast”, RightResponseConsulting.com, Instagram/Twitter: @nogreyzoneRRC
- Dr. Jorey Krawczyn – Psychologist (Panama City Beach, FL), Adjunct Faculty with Saint Leo University; Research Consultant with Blue Wall Institute, Author: “Operation S.O.S. – Practical Recommendations to Help “Stop Officer Suicide”, bw-institute.com
- Greg Smith – Special Deputy Sheriff, Johnson County Sheriff’s Office (Kansas), Executive Director of the Kelsey Smith Foundation, www.kelseysarmy.com
- Dr. Michelle DuPre – Former Forensic Pathologist, Medical Examiner and Detective: Lexington County Sheriff’s Department, Author: “Homicide Investigation Field Guide” & “Investigating Child Abuse Field Guide”, Forensic Consultant, DMichelleDupreMD.com
- REPORTER – Brian Tabick – Reporter, KCRG-TV9 (Iowa), kcrg.com, Twitter: @BrianTabick, Facebook: “Brian Tabick KCRG”