Thomas Valva

Thomas Valva: Alleged Killer Dad Asks Son If He’s Alive Before Boy Dies from Sleeping in Unheated Garage on Cold Concrete

Michael Valva, a New York man on trial in connection with the death of his son, Thomas Valva, asked the child if he was alive after the boy collapsed outside the family’s Long Island home in 2020.

As CrimeOnline previously reported, 43-year-old Michael Valva is currently on trial at the Suffolk Superior Court, for the murder of Thomas, who was eight at the time of his death and on the autism spectrum. Thomas froze to death after being forced to sleep in an unheated garage at his father’s home, with temperatures plummeting down to 19 degrees

“Wake up, are you alive? Are you alive? Are you alive? Are you alive? You can’t answer me? Fine,” Valva said to Thomas during a recording on January 17, 2020.

The recording, according to prosecutors, happened around 50 minutes before Michael Valva called 911. Valva contacted 911 at around 9:41 a.m. Less than an hour after, Thomas was pronounced dead at 10:28 a.m. at the Long Island Community Hospital.

Newsday reports that Thomas’ body temperature at the time was 76.1 degrees, according to Suffolk Police Sgt. Norberto Flores,’ testimony.

Along with the video, numerous text messages between Valva and his then-fiancée and co-defendant, Angela Pollina, 45, were read to the court.

Prosecutors say that both Valva and Pollina forced Thomas and his older brother, Anthony, to sleep in the unheated garage for numerous months before Thomas passed away.

Thomas Valva in red shirt, smiling
Thomas Valva/Family handout

Earlier this month, East Moriches Elementary School Principal, Edward Schneyer, testified that six children from the Valva and the Polina family attended the school. Schneyer said he knew the family well including Thomas and his 10-year-old brother, Anthony, who were both autistic.

Schneyer said that within the span of one school year, Thomas’ brother Anthony lost around 20 pounds, adding that their food had been monitored. Further, according to News12 the Bronx, both children were initially potty trained when they started school but both eventually started attending classes in pull-up training diapers.

Schneyer said both boys would consistently show up to school with bruises and scrapes. Meanwhile, the boys’ behavior began to change, Schneyer said. The school “flooded CPS with calls” about concerns for the children, which resulted in Michael Valva threatening to sue the school for harassment.

Michael Valva’s defense attorney, John LoTurco, told the court that despite any allegations of neglect, Michael never wanted his son to die and isn’t guilty of murder.

“Everyone needs to be focused on not the neglect, child endangerment, but rather the depraved murder charge. There is no evidence to show that Mr. Valva wanted his child to die.”

Prosecutors told the jury that Thomas and Anthony suffered years of abuse at the hands of their father, often arriving at school with bruises and scratching — and hungry.

Michael Valva and Angela Pollina/Suffolk County Police Department

“They were observed at school literally eating crumbs off the floor,” assistant Suffolk County District Attorney Laura Newcombe said.

Newcombe also related a text Valva sent to Pollina.

“I will beat them until they bleed,” he wrote, according to Newcombe. “It is the only thing that works.”

Valva’s attorney laid the blame at Pollina’s feet, saying she constantly told him he was being too lenient with the boys and that Valva was desperate to make things work. He painted her as the wicked stepmother.

“You are making it too comfortable for them,” she allegedly told Valva, according to attorney Anthony La Pinta. “Let them be uncomfortable. That will teach them to control themselves.”

Valva, La Pinta said during his opening statement, “never ever thought that either of his boys could die from being in that garage,” WCBS reported.

Pallbearers carry the casket after the funeral service for 8-year-old Thomas Valva at St. Elizabeth’s Church on Thursday, Jan. 30, 2020, in Melville, N.Y. The boy’s father Michael Valva, a New York City police officer, and his fiancee, Angela Pollina, are being charged with Thomas’s death. (AP Photo/Kevin Hagen).

When Valva arrived at the hospital to see his son, he had no emotion, again,  paramedic Erin Lambert previously testified.

“There were no tears. There was no emotion,” Lambert said, recalling when the suspect saw his son in a bed at the hospital.

“Somebody, a staff member came into the room and asked him if he needed a drink, a chair, to make a phone call. He turned and said, ‘No, I’ve been in more stressful situations.’”

The trial continues. Check back for updates.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast. Listen to a previous episode on the case below. 

Join Nancy Grace for her new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most — your children.

[Featured image: Thomas Valva/Handout]

Additional reporting by Ellen Killoran and KC Wildmoon