A 11-year-old boy suffered minor injuries this week when he dashed into his burning second-story apartment to rescue his toddler sister.
The Maryland State Fire Marshal said the boy initially got out of the Salisbury apartment but then realized his 2-year-old sister was still inside and went back inside.
He was “slightly burned” making his second escape, according to the fire marshal, who said in a statement that “His injuries were so minor they did not require on scene medical attention.”
Smoke detectors alerted residents in the 8-unit building to the fire, which the fire marshal said started in a bathroom electrical outlet. More than two dozen firefighters took just 10 minutes to get the blaze under control, but it did nearly $300,000 in damage and rendered two apartments completely uninhabitable. The American Red Cross is assisting residents.
It’s not clear where the children’s parents were at the time of the fire.
For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast.
[Featured image: Salisbury Fire Department]