Ky’air Thomas’s Death Ruled ‘Sudden Unexplained Infant Death,’ No Signs of Trauma or Abuse

An Ohio coroner said the death of a 6-month-old twin — who was kidnapped with his brother late last year and abandoned at the Dayton airport — showed no signs of “trauma, foul play, abuse, or neglect.”

Ky’air Thomas was rushed to the hospital on January 28 just before 11 p.m. and pronounced dead about 45 minutes later, as CrimeOnline previously reported.

The Franklin County Coroner’s Office ruled the death sudden unexplained infant death with conditions — the boy had been placed face down, unsupervised on an adult bed with a number of pillows and blankets around after he’d eaten, according to WBNS.

“It is well documented that infants under the age of 8 months have limited strength in the neck musculature to reposition their airway when encountering possible obstructions,” the coroner’s office said in a statement.

“This is a form of oxygen deprivation (anoxic brain injury), however, because a contributory component of mechanical or obstructive asphyxia can be neither confirmed nor excluded in this infant’s death as determined by the investigation and circumstances, the manner of death is best ruled as Undetermined.”

Ky’air and his brother Kason, then five months old, were in the back seat of their mother’s car on December 19 when it was stolen while she ran into a pizza restaurant to pick up an order, sparking a desperate search for the boys, as CrimeOnline previously reported. Ky’air was found in a parking lot at Dayton International Airport — 70 miles from where the boys were taken — a few hours later, but Kason was not found for another three days, after the suspect was arrested in Indianapolis.

Kason was found shortly after Nalah Jackson’s arrest, still in his mother’s stolen car, outside another pizza restaurant in Indianapolis. Jackson, 24, is facing state and federal kidnapping charges in the case.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast.

[Featured image: Kason, left, and Ky’air/Columbus Division of Police]