Babysitter Charged With Murder 4 Months After Toddler Dies From ‘Fall’

A Washington state man was ordered held without bond last week after his arrest for the death of a 13-month-old boy he was babysitting in November.

Eric Richard Boudreau, 32, reportedly told police he fell asleep with the toddler on November 11, 2022, and when he awoke, the boy was gone, The Olympian reported. He said he found him at the bottom of the stairs and called his mother, who was at work.

The mother called 911 shortly before 2 p.m. Medics arrived and resuscitated the boy before taking him to a hospital in Olympia. He was then airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where he died.

Investigators received the autopsy report — which ruled the boy’s death a homicide from blunt force trauma to the head — last month. The autopsy found that the child had skull fractures, hemorrhages, bruises, and lacerations all over his body.

“These are not injuries that could have been sustained by falling down carpeted stairs,” Senior Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Cailen Cecil said at Boudreau’s bond hearing on Friday.

Court records reveal that first responders said the child’s injuries were not consistent with falling down the stairs. One said there “wasn’t a square inch” of the toddler’s body not covered with a bruise. Another said the boy’s injuries were the worst they had seen on a child outside a car accident. And medical staff at both hospitals said the child’s extensive injuries were not consistent with accidental trauma but rather with child abuse.

The court documents say that the boy’s mother left her son with Boudreau that day because his day care was closed for Veteran’s Day and the other adults in the house — the mother, a woman she lived with who had two children, and the child’s father, who lived downstairs — had to work. The two women reportedly said they trusted Boudreau and didn’t believe he would intentionally harm the child, but the child’s father said he heard him tell the boy “shut up” in a frustrated voice that morning.

The father reportedly told police he was concerned but left for work because he feared he would be fired. He later was fired from his job when he left to go to the hospital. He also told police he didn’t think Boudreau would intentionally hurt the boy.

Further, the documents say that Boudreau had played a gig with his band the night before and came home with a friend, staying up all night. He told police he had several beers and smoked marijuana but believed he was in good condition to watch after the boy.

Boudreau is charged with second degree murder.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast.

[Featured image: Eric Richard Boudreau/Facebook]