Arizona police announced on Monday that Nancy Guthrie’s family is not suspected in her ongoing disappearance.
Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos said the Guthrie family — including siblings and spouses — has not been implicated in the 84-year-old’s apparent abduction. Officials have not disclosed when the family members were formally cleared, or what measures were taken to clear them.
“To suggest otherwise is not only wrong, it is cruel. The Guthrie family are victims plain and simple,” Nanos said in the statement posted to social media.
No press conferences are scheduled. Nanos previously said a press conference will take place once there is a break in the case.
Last week, the FBI released footage and surveillance stills of someone outside of Guthrie’s home around the time she vanished on January 31. Alarms were raised the following morning, when Guthrie failed to arrive at a friend’s home to watch virtual church services.
In addition to locating Guthrie, police are investigating two ransom notes that were reportedly sent to local news outlets. One of the notes demanded millions in Bitcoin in exchange for Guthrie’s return. A glove found near Guthrie’s Tucson home, resembling one seen in the surveillance video, is being analyzed.
As of Monday, no arrests have been made.
For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast.
[Featured image: Instagram]
