An Ohio father has been arrested for tampering with evidence and possession of drugs after his 5-year-old son reportedly tested positive for methamphetamine.
WBNS reported that a urine test determined that Cambray Carwell also had meth in his system. On Sunday, his son was hospitalized for a possible seizure he suffered after reportedly ingesting the same drug.
Carwell allegedly told police that the 5-year-old had eaten several pieces of candy and was playing with vampire fangs when he started exhibiting seizure-like symptoms. The incident led local police to issue a warning and instructing parents to “thoroughly check any candy your children may have received before they eat it.”
We currently have an open case in reference to a question as to whether there was some candy given out in Galion that…
Previously, his mother told the news station both she and her son’s father are recovering addicts but claimed they’re sober. She also said there’s no way their son wasn’t exposed to meth through trick-or-treating.
However, a search of the Gallon home produced suspected methamphetamine, marijuana, and drug paraphernalia, according to WKYC.
WHAM reported that the vampire fangs tested negative for meth but authorities have yet to confirm how the child was exposed to the drug. The 5-year-old has since been released from the hospital.
“Our detectives have worked extremely hard on this investigation,” Galion Police Chief Brian Saterfield said in a recent statement. “While we cannot definitively say how the little boy ingested methamphetamine, we are extremely confident that he did not ingest any candy from trick or treat that was tainted. The boy is home, has been attending school and has not shown any lingering effects from the drug.”
[Featured image: Cambray Carwell/Galion Police Department]