King Jay Davila: Officials release 8-month-old baby’s cause of death after dad claims he fell off bed [Report]

On Friday, at the request of law enforcement, a San Antonio medical examiner released the cause of death of a baby who died in early January, after his father claimed the little boy fell off of a bed and hit his head.

San Antonio Express-News reports that 8-month-old King James Davila died from blunt force trauma and his death has been ruled a homicide. The information was released weeks after the infant’s father initially said the baby was kidnapped, then later admitted he hid the boy’s body in an open field.

As CrimeOnline previously reported, King Jay disappeared on January 4. His father, Christopher Davila, 34, told police someone stole his car at a Friends gas station in San Antonio, off of the 300 block of Enrique Barrera Parkway.

Davila claimed he left the infant in his white Dodge Dart, and left the car running and unlocked as he walked inside the store. When he exited the store, the car was gone. Police later found the vehicle abandoned close to Rodriguez Park, with the baby and his car seat missing. Davila was subsequently arrested for child endangerment.

The woman accused of taking the car, identified as 45-year-old Angie Torres, is Davila’s cousin. San Antonio PD Chief, William McManus, said that King Jay was never in the car and that Torres likely took the vehicle to make it appear as if the infant had been abducted.

Surveillance footage at the gas station showed a woman, later identified as Torres, wearing a light hoodie and tan pants, walking up to the car and taking it. McManus pointed out that the woman looked as if she knew exactly what she was doing and had “no hesitation.”

Angie Torres and Christopher Davila [San Antonio PD]
Davila continued to insist that his son was abducted, but as the evidence began to stack against him, he folded, according to McManus.

“I think when the story started to unravel is when he started to break down. He weakened, and figured that he’s not just getting away with it. It seemed like a strong story in the beginning to him, but as the investigation continued that story got weaker and weaker.”

A little over a week later, Davila took investigators to an open field near his neighborhood in Northeast San Antonio, then led them to the baby’s body at the dead end of Castle Lance. The baby was found less than a mile from Davila’s last known residence at Castle Brook Drive.

Investigators reportedly dug up a black backpack. Inside was the the body of King Jay, wrapped in a blanket.

Davila told detectives he was playing video games at home on January 3, when King Jay died. He said he had the infant in his car seat, seated on a bed. Davila explained that when he sat on the bed himself, the car seat fell with King Jay, who landed face-first on the floor. Davila, according to authorities, said the baby may have hit his head on a dresser while falling.

King Jay Davila
King Jay Davila [Handout]
The suspect then said he noticed a huge bump forming over King Jay’s eye, but he didn’t call 911 or take the baby for medical care because he was scared. A few hours later, when Davila checked on the baby, the little boy was dead.

A witness told police he heard Davila talking to his mother, 65-year-old Beatrice Sampayo, on January 3 explaining that King Jay, her grandson, had fallen down and died. The following day, when the witness saw Davila again, he walked outside to ask him about the baby, but Davila told him to “get the f— back in the house.”

The witness said he continued to watch the scene unfold afterward, according to his statement to police. He reportedly saw Torres walk to Davila’s car and look inside with a “shocked look on her face.”

Another witness said they noticed Sampayo and Davila hugging each other, visibly upset, which was odd as they rarely hug, according to the witness. A third witness said King Jay was crying on January 3 and the following day, Davila left with the baby’s car seat.

McManus explained last month that authorities weren’t going to base the baby’s death solely on Davila’s version of what happened.

“We’re now working a death investigation, (and we) won’t be finished until we find out how exactly how he died,” McManus said.

According San Antonio Express-News, police had already hinted at doubts that King Jay died accidentally. Davila has a long criminal history and previously served time in prison.

“It shocks the conscience to think that someone could do this to an 8-month-old, let alone his own child,” McManus told reporters.

Sampayo and Torres were arrested and charged with tampering with evidence. Davila is charged with charges of injury to a child causing serious bodily injury – omission, possession with the intent to deliver a controlled substance, and felony possession of a firearm. All three remain behind bars.

Additional charges are expected to be filed.

Check back with CrimeOnline as additional details become available.

Join Nancy Grace for her new video series new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most – your children.

[Feature Photo: King Jay Davila/Handout]