Khaseen Morris

Nassau police arrest 7 more in brawl that killed Khaseen Morris as family attends teen’s funeral

Seven teenagers were arrested Friday in connection with the death of Khaseen Morris, a 16-year-0ld who died after a brutal attack turned into a brawl at a Long Island pizzeria on September 16, the New York Daily News reported.

Police had already arrested Tyler Flach, 18, and charged him with murder following the brawl, according to Nassau County police. Flach is believed to be the one who stabbed Morris in the chest. Authorities said up to 70 teens showed up, and a handful of them recorded the incident without bothering to help the victims, CrimeOnline reported. He is being held without bail.

The newly arrested were named as 19-year-old Haakim Mechan, 18-year-old Marquis Stephens, 18-year-old Javonte Neals, 17-year-old Taj Woodruff, 17-year-old Sean Merritt and two 16-year-old boys. All pleaded not guilty to second degree gang assault charges at their arraignment on Saturday.

How do you protect your children from predators? Join Nancy Grace and a team of world-class experts for the online course ‘Justice Nation: Crime Stops Here’.

Meanwhile, Morris’ friends and relatives gathered on Saturday for his funeral. Hundreds of people gathered in Oceanside to say good-bye, CBS New York reported.

“I lost a brother,” Khaseen’s sister, Kadeemah Morris said. “My siblings lost a brother. My parents lost their child, their youngest child.”

Police said videos of the brawl helped identify those who participated.

“Each one of them had an active role,” Nassau County Police Department Det. Lt. Stephen Fitzpatrick said of the seven arrested on Friday. “They came with the intention to seriously hurt him. Khaseen got killed as a result.”

According to Fitzpatrick, witnesses in the area said that they saw a car drive up;  a group of boys emerged and attacked Khaseen and his friend. Video then captured the teen collapsing to the ground. Someone eventually called 911 and police arrived around 4 p.m. to find Morris in critical condition. He died overnight after first responders rushed him to the hospital.

Morris was unarmed. He had been threatened online, apparently by the ex-boyfriend of a girl he walked home the day before the brawl, police said.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast.

Join Nancy Grace for her new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most – your children.

[Feature Photo: Khaseen Morris/Handout]