bentley twins

‘The babies wouldn’t let me sleep’: Mother tells cops she first tried to poison newborn twins, then scalded one and stabbed the other

A Queens mother confessed to police that she killed her 46-day-old twins then sat in her Woodside Houses apartment with the bodies as long as four days until police, called by a concerned cousin, arrived.

“I didn’t want them anymore,” Danezja Kilpatrick, 23, told police, according to prosecutors. “They are dead.”

Queens District Attorney Adarna DeFrietas read from Kilpatrick’s account of the killings at her arraignment on Saturday.

First, the mother told investigators, she tried to poison them, mixing Pine Sol into their milk, the New York Daily News reported. But it didn’t work.

“The babies wouldn’t let me sleep,” she told police, prosecutors said. “I just gave up and stopped caring. I didn’t care about the babies, that’s why I poisoned them.”

Next, she took little Dakota and placed her face down in the bathtub, then ran hot water over her until she stopped crying. She wrapped the little girl in a pink blanket, put the body into a plastic bag, and laid it beneath the kitchen sink.

The she took the boy twin, Dallis, laid him face down in his crib, and pushed a knife into the back of his neck. After he died, she laid a blanket over his body.

Kilpatrick’s cousin, New York Police housing officer Keywona Llanos, requested a wellness check Thursday after a concerning conversation with the young mother, and police found the babies at that time, as CrimeOnline previously reported. But prosecutors said the murders may have taken place as early as Monday.

Kilpatrick’s sister Quanteya Kilpatrick told the Daily News that she visited her sister earlier on Thursday and “knew something was off” the moment she walked in.

“Something was giving me bad vibes,” she said. ” … There were no baby clothes, no baby bottles. She told me the babies were with their father.”

Danezja Kilpatrick told police, however, that she didn’t know the babies’ father and that no one was helping her with the newborns. Quanteya Kilpatrick said that she traveled frequently to help her sister and had no idea she was struggling so badly.

“This is a tragic, heart-wrenching case,” said Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz. “Two babies are dead and their mother charged with doing the unthinkable. This should have been a joyous time for this family. Instead, the babies’ relatives are mourning the deaths.”

Kilpatrick was arraigned on two counts each of first and second degree murder, two counts of endangering the welfare of a child, and one count of criminal possession of a weapon, according to the New York Post. She is being held without bail and is due in court again on May 21.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast:

[Featured image: Dallis and Dakota Bentley/Facebook]