Naval Academy mom’s alleged killer cut off ankle monitor 2 months before fatal shooting

The mother of a newly inducted Naval Academy midshipman was shot and killed in Annapolis last month by a man police were searching for after he allegedly cut off an ankle monitor in May.

Annapolis police said Angelo Reno Harrod, 29, was charged with first- and second-degree murder for the June 29 death of Michelle Cummings, the Baltimore Sun reported.

Cummings, 57, was in Annapolis with her husband, Leonard “Truck” Cummings, to drop off their son for Induction Day at the Naval Academy. Michelle Cummings was sitting on the patio of her hotel when she was hit by a stray bullet just before 12:30 a.m., as CrimeOnline previously reported.

“What should have been a fantastic celebratory time for their family just turned into the worst due to somebody else’s recklessness,” Chief Ed Jackson said at a news conference Wednesday. “I gave my word as the chief of police that we would do everything we could to arrest the person responsible for the tragic death of Ms. Cummings. That promise was kept today.”

The Cummingses and their son, Leonard “Trey” Cummings — who has a football scholarship to the Academy — are from Houston.

Harrod was arrested at about 10 p.m. the night Michelle Cummings was killed when patrol officers ran a background check on him and found he had outstanding warrants, the police report said. Harrod was identified as the suspect in Cummings’s death based on video and photographic evidence from the crime scene, Jackson said.

Jackson said Harrod had been firing at two people sitting in a parked car near the hotel, prompting attempted first- and second-degree murder charges as well. He’s also been charged with manslaughter and firearms charges, assaulting an officer, resisting arrest, and other charges, according to the Sun.

Investigators have not recovered a gun used in the shooting and have not revealed a motive.

“My family and I are elated that an arrest has been made in the senseless murder of my beloved wife, Michelle Cummings,” Truck Cummings said in a statement. “We hope and pray that this arrest will start the healing process by providing answers to the many questions that my family has about the circumstances surrounding her senseless death.”

Court documents said that Harrod had been charged with assault, firearms, and drug charges in two separate incidents in February and April and released on house arrest to his mother’s home on April 13. On May 3, he cut off the ankle monitor and fled. He has been charged with escape for that incident.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast:

[Featured image: Leonard Cummings Jr, Leonard Trey Cummings III, Michelle Cummings/GoFundMe]