A 14-year-old Virginia boy charged with shooting and killing a middle-school girl earlier this year now faces new charges, including social media threats to shoot up a school.
Lucia Bremer, 13, was walking down the street with a friend at about 4:30 p.m. on March 26 when someone approached the pair and shot her, as CrimeOnline previously reported. Bremer was taken to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Investigators later identified the boy as the suspect and took him into custody.
Henrico Commonwealth’s Attorney Shannon Taylor said the teen, who is not being named because of his age, made the threats before Bremer was killed, but investigators only saw them after the murder, according to WTVR.
“There’s probably a lot to be said about social media and cues on what gets flagged by YouTube, Google, Facebook, Instagram, whatever, and the responsibility social media providers have to public safety,” Taylor said.
The boy will be charged with three new counts: one for the school threat and two related to the friend who was with Bremer, attempted murder and brandishing a gun, the Richmond Times-Dispatch said. The next hearing in the case in September 13, by which time Taylor must decide whether to charge the boy as an adult.
The teen was charged with second-degree murder, and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony, and possession of a firearm by a minor related to Bremer’s death.
Taylor also said she was considering charges against the adult in the boy’s household who owned the gun the teen used in the shooting.
Investigators have found no connection between the boy and the girls.
For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast:
[Featured image: Lucia Bremer/Facebook]