Heidi and Nicholas Firkus

Husband Says Intruder Shot Him and Killed His Wife. Over a Decade Later, He’s Indicted for Murder

It’s been more than 10 years since the untimely death of Heidi Firkus, and now, her husband has been indicted for her murder in Minnesota.

As CrimeOnline previously reported, 38-year-old Nicholas James Firkus was arrested in May and charged with second-degree intentional murder in the death of his wife, Heidi Firkus, who was fatally shot on April 25, 2010.

On Wednesday, a Ramsey County grand jury indicted Firkus on both premeditated first-degree murder and intentional second-degree murder charges, The Pioneer Press reports.

On the morning of Heidi’s death, according to an arrest warrant obtained by ABC News, Heidi Firkus called 911 and said someone was trying to break into her St. Paul home.

“Thirty-eight seconds into the call, as Heidi was giving dispatch her address, a noise similar to a gunshot was heard, Heidi stopped speaking, and the call went dead,” the arrest warrant reportedly stated.

“Before the gunshot, there is no significant background noise on the call, nor does Heidi say anything that would suggest that an intruder had actually entered the home.”

About a minute later, Nicholas Firkus called 911 from his wife’s phone and said someone had entered the home and shot Heidi in the back as she was trying to escape to the garage. That 911 call reportedly lasted seven minutes, and police can be heard in the background entering the home.

Heidi Firkus/Handout

The officers found both husband and wife had been shot. Heidi, 25, was pronounced dead at the scene. Nicholas Firkus had a gunshot wound to his thigh.

Investigators believe the motive for the killing may have been an imminent eviction order on the couple’s home. Nicholas Firkus reportedly told police that their house had gone into foreclosure and they were moving out the day of Heidi’s death. He said he and Heidi had not yet told friends and family about their situation.

Prosecutors reportedly believe Heidi Firkus did not know about the foreclosure or eviction: Investigators found no evidence that the couple had made preparations for a move.

“This is no sign that there had been any packing done and there was no evidence of any housing arrangements where they were going to stay,” Ramsey County Assistant County Attorney Elizabeth Lamin said at a previous press conference, according to ABC News.

A closer look at the case by St. Paul homicide investigator, Sgt. Nichole Sipes, cast further suspicion on Nichols Firkus. Police also used the latest technology to enhance the 911 calls, which raised a red flag.

While police could be heard in the background entering the home, there is nothing in the calls to indicate the presence of an intruder. It remains unclear why Heidi Firkus call 911 to report a home invasion.

“[Sgt. Sipes] happened to take a look at this case, and some things stuck out to her, she turned over some stones and some pebbles and decided to stay with it,” Saint Paul Police Department Homicide Unit Commander Bryan Gaden said at the news briefing.

“So that’s why we’re here today, because of her tenacity and decision-making and excellent investigative intelligence.”

Firkus’ lawyer, Joe Friedberg, said his client was innocent and that the case is “completely circumstantial.”

Nicholas Firkus remains behind bars on a $1 million bond. Check back for updates.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast. Listen to our latest episode below.

Join Nancy Grace for her new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most — your children.

[Featured Photo: Nicholas and Heidi Firkus/Handout]

Additional Reporting by Ellen Killoran