Ad
Ad

Mark Redwine Gets 48 Years for Killing 13-Year-Old Son Dylan

A Colorado man found guilty earlier this summer of murdering his 13-year-old son in 2012 was sentenced to 48 years in prison on Friday.

La Plata County Judge Jeffrey Wilson told Mark Redwine, 59, that “the community needs to be protected from you.”

“You need to be removed from society for a very long period of time,” he said, according to KMGH.

A jury found Redwine guilty of second-degree murder and child abuse in July for the death of Dylan Redwine, who was reported missing from his father’s house near Durango on November 19, 2012, as CrimeOnline previously reported. The prosecutors argued that the father killed his son in a fit of rage after Dylan found photographs showing his father eating feces and wearing women’s lingerie.

After a four-week trial, the jury deliberated for less than seven hours.

Parts of Dylan’s remains, including a portion of his skull that medical examiner said showed signs of blunt force trauma, were found in 2013 and 2015, about 10 miles from his father’s home. Mark Redwine was arrested in 2017, and the trial was delayed or restarted because of mistrials several times before this past June.

Redwine has insisted on his innocence since the start.

Dylan’s half brother Brandon Redwine and older full brother Cory Redwine spoke at the sentencing hearing, as well as his mother, Elaine Hall.

“When I think about what happened that night, it breaks my heart to think of Dylan looking up at his dad,” Hall said. “I don’t even think it phased you, which is why you need the max sentence.”

Wilson noted Mark Redwine’s “utter lack of remorse” before handing down the sentence of 48 years for each count, to be served concurrently. Additionally, he’ll get about three years off the sentence for time served.

See CrimeOnline’s coverage of the case.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast

[Feature Photo: Dylan Redwine/Handout; Mark Redwine/Police Handout]