Ellen Greenberg

New Evidence Raises More Questions About 2011 ‘Suicide’ of Teacher Stabbed 20 Times

The family of a Pennsylvania woman who was found dead in her home in 2011 will reportedly present new evidence on Friday in hopes of having her death reclassified as a homicide.

Ellen Greenberg’s family will plead their case to a judge, and attempt to prove that the 27-year-old teacher did not stab herself 20 times at her Manayunk apartment. Family attorney Joe Podraza told KYW-TV that a city-hired neuropathologist’s disposition includes testimony where she says the 20 stab wounds inflicted on Greenberg occurred postmortem.

Hired by the city of Philadelphia to perform a medical evaluation of Greenberg’s spinal cord years earlier, neuropathologist Lyndsey Emery told Podraza that it was “significant” that Greenberg had no hemorrhaging — strongly suggesting she did not have a pulse when she was repeatedly stabbed.

The family believes this new revelation should lead the Philadelphia Medical Examiner’s Office to review Greenberg’s manner of death determination. The agency ruled her death a suicide, citing lack of evidence of a home invasion or indication of a struggle, according to WHP.

“People without pulses do not stab themselves repeatedly. So that, by itself, establishes suicide is absolutely impossible in this case,” Podraza told KYW-TV.

Friday’s court hearing will also include a technology expert’s analysis which suggests Greenberg never made computer searches related to suicide, contradicting a claim made by the State Attorney General’s Office that it said justified Greenberg’s death being ruled a suicide.

As CrimeOnline previously reported, Greenberg’s fiancé, Sam Goldberg told police that he returned home from the gym and realized he was locked out, with the swing lock latched from the inside. He claimed he called and texted Greenberg several times with no luck and could not get ahold of the apartment management, so he broke the lock.

Goldberg said he found Greenberg slumped over in the kitchen. He claimed he was gone for 45 minutes before returning to the apartment, and investigators determined surveillance footage corroborated his claims about what happened that day.

WHP reported that court proceedings will begin on Friday, but a ruling will be made at a later date.

*Additional reporting by Leigh Egan

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast. Listen to a related episode:

Join Nancy Grace for her new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most — your children.

[Featured image: Ellen Greenberg/Facebook]