Amber Heard’s attorneys moved to dismiss Johnny Depp’s multi-million dollar defamation lawsuit against her, but the judge nixed the move, ruling that Depp’s attorneys had presented enough evidence for the case to move forward.
Heard’s motion is fairly typical once a plaintiff has rested their case and before the defense presents theirs; Judge Penney Azcarate’s ruling was also expected.
Depp’s $50 million lawsuit argues that Heard’s op-ed published in the Washington Post defamed him. Although it did not mention the actor by name, Heard’s piece covered the time the two were together, as CrimeOnline previously reported.
Attorney Ben Rottenborn argued that his client was clearly subjected to abuse during her relationship with Depp and that’s all she needed to prove, The Hollywood Reporter said.
“In this case, if Mr. Depp abused Ms. Heard, physically verbally, emotionally, or psychologically even one time, then she wins on those claims,” he said. “She wins. It’s that simple.”
Depp’s attorney, Ben Chew, argued that his presentation provided the minimum requirements to prove defamation and that his case goes “the extra mile of showing that Ms Heard physically abused” Depp.
“She’s the abuser in this courtroom,” he said.
Chew reviewed the testimony from his witnesses, including police officers who saw no injuries when responding to calls at the couple’s apartment and that Heard and refused medical treatment.
After Azcarate’s ruling, Heard’s attorneys began their case, first presenting a psychologist to discuss the symptoms of victims of domestic abuse.
Heard herself is expected to testify, likely on Wednesday.
For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast.
[Featured image: Johnny Depp and Amber Heard in court on May 3, 2022. (Jim Watson/Pool photos via AP)]