Six of 13 children rescue from their parents’ California “house of horrors” in 2018 have filed suit against the county and private foster care agency that took care of them after, claiming they suffered “severe abuse and neglect” for years in foster care.
Two lawsuits were filed by the six youngest Turpin siblings, alleging physical, emotional, and sexual abuse, by the foster family they were placed with in 2018. The complains say that officials “failed to report” the “severe” conditions even when they were warned of it.
“These children who were chained to their beds for a great majority of their life finally are free, and then the county places them with ChildNet and puts them in another position where they are further abused,” Elan Zektser, the attorney representing the two oldest Turpin siblings who are suing and who have since aged out of foster care, said in an interview with ABC’s Good Morning America on Wednesday.<
Marcelino Olguin, 63, along with his wife Rosa, 58, and daughter Lennys, 37, have been charged in connection with that abuse, as CrimeOnline previously reported. Marcelino Olguin has been charged with seven counts of committing a “lewd and lascivious act on a child,” along with torture, while his wife and daughter were charged with aiding and abetting him.
The Turpins were rescued from their parents, David Allen and Louisa Anna Turpin, when a 17-year-old daughter called police and told them she had stolen a cellphone from her house, escaped, and called for help. The parents were convicted in 2019 and sentenced to 25 years to life in prison, but getting help has not been easy for the children, who ranged in age from 2 to 29 when they were rescued.
A spokesperson for Riverside Count told ABC they hadn’t seen the lawsuits and had no comment, and ChildNet did not respond to a request for comment.
For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast.
[Featured Photo: Turpin children with the birth parents/Facebook]